Sunday, February 27, 2011

So Here's the Situation



ORLANDO - I come to you today from a dated (au courant around the same time as Miami Vice) but pleasant "villa" in darkest Florida. Well, actually it has been very sunny here, which is sort of the point. Kids and I had long planned a vacation and family visit (my Mom and sister live here) and we have had that - despite the (long expected but still horrible) death of Mom's husband the day before we arrived. So, an odd sort of crisis/vacation. We are back to Vermont on Weds and I, for one, will be ready to go.

As usual, traveling far from home and visiting with family, especially under these conditions, has me thinking many deep thoughts. Luckily for you, however, I only have about twenty minutes left on the Internet before I have to pay another $9.95 for another day of access. Since we are leaving here early tomorrow -- to retrieve my mother from my sister's house and return her to her own -- and though I have spent a month's pay down here in the last three days you might think it strange that I am balking at another $9.95, but reality is beginning to reassert itself.

So, I'll limit myself to illuminating today's picture for you. It is Shackleton, naturally, a couple of days ago at the end of a long line to ride the world's dullest roller coaster at Universal Studios theme park (never again!) His reading skills are clearly coming along because he's the one who noticed during the hour that we stood in line for the roller coaster that this sign leads weary Seussical travelers to "Gas Food." We've had a fair bit of that on our travels this last week and a half. More later. Thanks for your continued interest.

4 comments:

J.G. said...

Oh dear. Sounds like Florida has been a bit of the Twilight Zone for you. I'm sure your mom was happy to have you close, even if it made for a strange kind of vacation. Good thoughts to you for a safe return journey.

Anonymous said...

I've managed to avoid Orlando for all these many years, planting me firmly in the "Bad Dad" category. I figured if my kids wanted to go, they could pay for it. In the meantime, I head west when I get time off.

Cheers.

Kim Velk said...

Hi J.G. Twilight Zone - yes. But the weather has been perfect at least.

R - Great comment. Your answer to your kids is the same one I got as a kid when I asked for a pool or an air conditioner in the summer. Florida is not for me, but with the family here, and all this sun, and the cheap plane tickets from the northeast what can one do? Maybe some day I'll get out to New Mexico...

Nan said...

I am really sorry. What an odd, sad visit. My heart is with you, dear one. So thankful you have the kids.