Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Go, Go, Go!



The Itty Bitty Tower of London

Just a quick post tonight to give a nod and some thanks to my favorite blogger in the antipodes, The Projectivist.

I stumbled over her blog while reading comments on my favorite Continental blog, Earwig Sandwich. I commend both to anybody.

The Proj. is full of surprises and is a constant source of great images, fun things to watch, and interesting things to read. Tonight, I zapped down to Australia to see what she had on offer and found, among other things, this great (free) website where you can upload photos to have them instantly manipulated by some magical computer process so they appear to have been miniaturized. Here's what it did to a scan I had of an old postcard of Lincoln Cathedral:



And here's Lincoln Castle: (You kind of have to look at it for a minute to get the mininess of it).



Here's the link to Tiltshift so you can try miniaturizing a few of your own photos. I found it helps to have a subject that already looks like it could have been part of a model railroad set. Naturally, the Projectivist also has the link on her site.

One day a few weeks ago the Proj. posted a music video from the Flight of the Conchords. I am a huge fan of the show and watching that video sent me into a happy half hour on YouTube checking out more F of the C videos. They were all funny, but this one had me singing the chorus all evening. If you remember the 1970s at all, well, go see.
So, thanks Projectivist. Have a good evening all.

10 comments:

Catastrophe Waitress said...

oh they look FANTASTIC!
tell me you're addicted too?!

i think it's because i love dollhouses and miniature railways that i love that site so much?
i'm going to get the children to take a photo of me in the middle of a crowded place and then miniaturise it!
hours of fun.

thank you for that lovely, LOVELY write up.
x

Kim Velk said...

You are very welcome. Thanks again for uncovering all these treasures.

Anonymous said...

Tilt-shift photography is really amazing. On Youtube, there are movies made with tilt-shift focusing that look like little model railroad worlds.

Very cool.

Kim Velk said...

Hey R - I think the Proj had one of those movies posted - it was a music video, as I recall, and it must have used Tiltshift. I didn't know about it at the time and was wondering if it was some kind of animation. On another topic, I was just watching the news and the announcer mentioned "Missouri". Will you clear this up for me: How is one to pronounce the name of your state: "Mizz-ur-ee" or Mizz-ur-ah"? I guess it matters if you are from there or from away?

Lulu LaBonne said...

Isn't this blogging thing wonderful for making new friends?

Thanks for the lovely words I love coming over here - I'd not seen that fab FoC clip
xx

Anonymous said...

I am at work and probably get into trouble for leaving this. I have enjoyed the chance to finally sit down and read your tales and indulge my interest in your interest. Though they may not always be share, there roots are known and comprhensible. Some of your experiences in these blogs are vaguely familiar. I only had a chance to read a few maybe more later. I have always enjoyed your writing anf pictures.
B

Kim Velk said...

Hi Lulu. You know I am a fan and I feel like I am doing people a favor steering them your way.

Anon- What a sweet comment. Thanks for leaving it.

gaf85 said...

First time visitor to your blog via our mutual "friend" Madame DeFarge. Love her blog so I thought I'd take a look at yours and enjoyed it very much. Luv your pics. Have you ever checked out Neen - Mind Triage. She has some really great nature photos on her blog.

We may share similar territory. I live approximately 30 min. from the Canadian border too in Northern New York. I have always loved Vermont. You must have alot of Border Patrol lurking about.

Kim Velk said...

Hi Gaf85 - Thanks for zapping over and for your nice comments. I know that NY territory near the Canadian border quite well. Did you see _Frozen River_? I did, and loved it(despite some lawyerly nitpicking on the law enforcement process). On that note, Border Patrol is a definite presence - I did a post a few weeks ago on that if you happened to be interested. Anyway I am glad our shared interest in Mme. Defarge brought you around for a visit.

Denise said...

Thanks for the Projectivist recommendation - what a great blog. I think I must have gotten Earwig Sandwich from you as well (ha, that sounds like an accusation.)

Conchords are fantastic, and I hadn't seen this one so thanks for the trip back in time to my Saturday afternoons at the roller rink where I wore my skin-tight hot pink jeans with my carefully colour-coordinated comb sticking out the back pocket. Wicked.

Conchords remind me a lot of Mr. Show with David Cross and Bob Odenkirk - did you ever watch it? Totally weird for the first season but brilliant afterward.