Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Light in August


At last, a beautiful Saturday in this rainy summer and your hostess was fighting a summer cold. I did get out long enough to take out the trash. On the way to the barrel, I noticed how beautiful the light was in the leaves. So, here you go, it's all I got for today.

A good friend told me once that he thought, or someone said, that William Faulkner had the best titles of any novelist. Light in August, The Sound and the Fury; Go Down, Moses, Absalom Abasalom! Pretty good, aren't they? I don't think I have ever made it through one of Faulkner's novels but I am a champion reader of titles... I can't look at the Light in August and not think of Faulkner. I guess that's an achievement in itself (for him).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faulkner is one of those authors the appreciation of whom increases the farther south one gets. He seems to touch a chord with southerners which he doesn't with others. That's not a failing of his or non-southern readers, but merely an expression of the fact that we're more in tune with what's going on closer to us.

My "Faulkner," if you will, is Nathaniel Hawthorne, BTW.

Cheers and get well.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

You just made me recall a Rose for Emily. That was by Faulkner, right?