Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Yes, It's Poetry


There’s an old print in my office. I think it’s Lake Como. It shows an ancient hotel or a
Villa. Broad stairs lead to a round tower, with a pointed red roof; a balcony, and the blue Lake stretches beyond. At last are the mountains, all stones, but rose colored, in sunset light.

Now I see... That is where I belong. Somehow I have made a Mistake,
being here, looking out at the gas station (where someone was killed a few years ago) and taking complaints from people who are miserable in every sense of the word.

I was inattentive and missed some chance, dull-minded and didn’t see.

And the Collaborator, who belongs on that balcony, with me,
to work on The Script – where dialogue falls into place l
like ball bearings into some lightly oiled, perfectly-Machined groove
- and where we are disturbed only by
An evening breeze off the Lake that lifts our hair, and requires us
To use our cocktails as paperweights, has gone
Unmet.

No comments: